Reed Hall Pond

 Reed Hall Pond

Reed Pond takes its name from the nearby Reed Hall.
 
In 1922, the house, then known as Streatham Hall, and the grounds were presented to the Exeter University College by Alderman W H Reed, a former Mayor of Exeter.
 
The grounds included an extensive range of plants, laid out and provided by the famous Veitch family of horticulturalists and nurserymen. These plants still form the nucleus of the campus tree and botanical collections today.
 
The pond itself, created as part of the original 19th century landscape of Reed Hall, is a traditional man-made brick and puddled clay pond.
 
It is home to ‘stocked’ ornamental fish and supports a variety of wildlife including Mallards, Coots, Moorhens and the occasional Kingfisher. It features planting such as Acer palmatum ‘Bloodgood’ and water lilies.
 
 
 

Photo: Charlie Tyjas

Location of Reed Hall Pond