Roger Leigh - Partition 8/6 x 3

Roger Leigh

Partition 8/6 x 3

 

Mild Steel ¼ inch plate

1969, Purchased by the University in 1971


Location: Walkway between the Queen’s Building and Devonshire House, Streatham Campus

Composed of eight units of 6ft x 3ft mild steel ¼ inch plate weighing approximately 11/2 cwt each, this sculpture was commissioned specifically for its location as a frame to the cornfields and meadows of the Higher Hoopern valley.

The orange side responds to the warm ochre of the cornfields in the distance which could be seen before the present luxuriant shrubbery on the left obscured them.  Passing between the two sections of the sculpture and looking back, you see the green side which likewise reflects the lawn beyond it.

Roger Leigh trained as an architect and worked as an assistant in Barbara Hepworth’s studio in the early 1950’s. He returned to St Ives later in the decade and began his full time career as a sculptor.  In the 1960s he also taught at the Exeter School of Art.

Photograph: John Melville © University of Exeter

Location of sculpture

View Larger Map

<previous | next>

Return to main Sculpture Gallery